Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #12
Hittntherooad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I know. It was a poor attempt at humor on my part.

I think "part" of the problem may be that these little air cooled generators were not originally designed specifically to run under relatively high load while traveling on the highway. They do well most of the time, but under severe conditions it's going to be tough to keep them from overheating.

If we look at a typical 4,000-watt generator powering a 15,000 BTU/hr standard air conditioner on a hot day, it will be running at close to 50% load. And if the owner doesn't manage other loads like fridge, battery charger, and possibly water heater, the generator may end up loaded down and thus more prone to overheating.

If I were using the generator to power an AC while driving on an unusually hot day, I would try to minimize other loads. The more power it has to make the hotter it will get.

I personally prefer not running a generator while driving (have never needed to) but given the need, I think your solution to duct cool air is excellent. If it works on race cars to help cool brakes then it can't hurt with a generator. The side vent idea looks great too.
No problem, yes definately if necessary to run AC while driving is to keep as little as possible load on the genny.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum