Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Please tell me if this is correct. (or not)

I am thinking that:
Any car flat towed will register the towed miles.
A rear wheel drive car on a dolly will register the towed miles.
a front wheel drive car on a dolly will not register the miles.
I have read about lube pumps for towing. When are they required or desirable?

Thanks, Ken
And the answer is of course... 'It depends...'

My Jeep flat towed with transfer case in neutral does not register miles whether battery connected or not... I'd expect this behavior in any vehicle towed in 'transfer case neutral' as the transmission sees nothing.

For a flat tow without 'transfer case neutral' - the transmission will see movement - and may need something disconnected or a lube pump to keep it happy.
Old mechanical odometers would record mileage if driveshaft is in place. Newer electronic versions may not.

A rear wheel drive on a dolly would likely need to have the driveshaft disconnected (or possibly lube pump) for any length towing...
Old mechanical odometers would record mileage if driveshaft is in place. Newer electronic versions may not.

A front wheel drive car on dolly should not record mileage.

A lube pump may be required when the vehicles drive wheels are on ground and transmission is engaged (even in neutral)... The transmission counts on the engine rotating to drive lubrication - and typically not driven when the 'tail is wagging the dog' (driveshaft only turning...)
The lube pump forces the lubrication.
The need for it should be reflected in the owners manual (under recreational towing) - or perhaps aftermarket locations if they provide pumps for vehicles the manufacturer says not to tow with drive wheels down...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum