Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Lots of discussion on this topic on more active forums
it should be outlined in your manual. Check the onan web site if you don't have one...

Regardless, most folks seem to think monthly runs are good for longer time spans.... say 30 minutes
and the genny needs to be seeing a load, so turn on your AC so that the electrical side gets a work out too.
30 minutes seems extreme to me, but it's a guideline I guess.
What I have done so far is this
I store my RV in a lot approx 15 minutes or so driving time away from home. Mine is fairly new, so i have lots of projects (this weekend was hanging a spare tire under the coach)
so I bring it home to do the work, and run the house ac on generator one way or both. i figure this gets the chassis engine and transmission up to temp as well as the generator, and gets the tires and such rolling around too.
and this all serves to top off the batteries a bit too!
and this is a good time to run a bit of water in each sink and shower to refill the plumbing traps too.
I figured if I don't have a project or a trip for quite a while ever in the future, I'll try to plan on just taking her for a short drive maybe every 4-6 weeks with the genny running.

I have been adding sta-bil to my chassis tank so that it's helping my engine too. If I'm on a trip, I won't add the stabil to the tanks on the way out, but will at least on the last tank..... but so far I've added it every tank since I've only taken short trips.
I also try to top off the tank before storing

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum