Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Shifting
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
TEUSeller

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 32.1
State: Florida
THOR #611
Shifting

I have been trying different ways to shift the gears on my ACE 30.1 to get the best, and smoothest acceleration. I discovered that from 1st gear, speeding up smoothly to just short of 3,000 RPM, and then getting off the gas pedal totally until it drops almost to idle and I feel the gear change, is the best so far. Once the gear shifts to second I press the pedal slowly, but firmly so I get a smooth and quiet acceleration to the next gear.

I go through the next gear about the same way, just getting off the gas before reaching 3,000 RPM, letting it idle down until I feel the shift, then move on. After that, it pretty much behaves well until I hit the cruise and it settles down.

Before trying this new way, I was just holding the gas pedal down and letting it "do its own thing" but too often the engine would wind out, creating a lot of high RPM noise before shifting, sometimes with a lurch, to the next gear. I hated that and was determined to find the right method to make it work well.

There are probably more ways to make the shifting smooth, so any constructive input or comments would be appreciated.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum