Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree that trying to keep costs down affects quality. How can it not?

Price pressure is probably very high, which may cause them to make decisions at times that affect quality. Even if incrementally.

As an example, I was looking through Ford's E-Series build and price information to see what options are available for 2017, and saw that selecting the Cutaway chassis with 176-inch wheelbase adds considerable cost over those with 158-inch wheelbase. I think it was in $500 range, which over many units adds up.

I had been curious why there were so many smaller Class Cs with 158-inch wheelbase (from various companies) with very long rear overhangs, when the 176-inch wheelbase would seem to make it more balanced and stable. Could chassis cost difference influence design/engineering? Obviously, there is longer turning radius and all that too, but why go from 158-inch wheelbase up to stretching frame with so few in the middle?

As a point of reference for comparison, Mercedes Sprinters which are often shorter are built on 170-inch wheelbase, so using a Ford 176-inch on a longer motorhome doesn't seem out of place to me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.