Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
rezeiler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5091
Cool

Hi

I thought I had posted my results but I don't see it listed. In any case I solved the problem. Since when I spoke with Thor tech support and found out they do not have a specific schematic for the wiring, I decided to make my own. I gathered a meter for continuity testing and a long roll of wire with an alligator clip on one end. The black wires in all the outlets had been disconnected. Starting at the circuit breaker, I attached the alligator clip to the black wire at the breaker (also disconnected) and the other end to the outlets in the bedroom. Behind the TV and then at the desk. I found out the breaker wire is connected first to the TV socket and was not short to ground. Next I moved the alligator clip to the TV socket black wire and tested the next outlet that was the bedroom desk. Also no short. The next wire was a bit more difficult. I again attached to alligator clip to the desk outlet and tried the outlet behind the living room TV. This showed continuity also. However, this wire was also shorted to ground and neutral. A eureka moment. I then disconnected the white wire from the bedroom desk outlet as well as from the living room TV. This was the problem. If I tested for continuity across the white and black leads at either end of this wire it showed short.

I started a process of replacing all the outlets with regular outlets. I found that I had to actually screw the outlet directly into the wall since there was no room for a box; not sufficient depth. Each new outlet was wrapped with electrical tape before attaching. I kept testing for short as I continued on. Everything worked perfectly now. I finished by turning on the power and sure enough, the circuit breaker no longer blew and all the outlets worked fine. All except for the living room TV because now it didn't have any power connected.

I thought of running a new wire to replace the shorted one, but quickly disregarded that idea. When I opened the outlet in the bedroom desk, I noticed that the wire was held in place with a nylon hold down attached on the inside of the wall. In fact I had to cut it to get the wires out. I figured if Thor used nylon ties at one end, they must be all along the wire route. Pulling a new wire seemed out of the question.

However, I noticed that the outlet under the kitchen cabinet (under the living room TV) worked ok and it was attached to the GFCI breaker in the bathroom. (I made a schematic for all the wiring while I was at it). Since this outlet only had to run my blue ray player and my satellite receiver, I thought there would be sufficient amperage available so the next step. I removed the angled panel that held the outlet by removing the four screws in the corners. With the panel removed I had a clear path to the under cabinet outlet and ran a small piece of new wire from one outlet to the next. Replacing the outlet with regular ones as I went along using wire nuts and electrical tape. Before closing everything up, I tested the sockets again by resetting the GFCI breaker after turning on the circuit breaker. Great news, everything worked and no shorts. Closed everything up, mounted the panel (it used square drive screws, by the way) and retested everything that now showed no shorts and worked well.

I wound up using wire nuts and electrical tape to cap off all the wires at both ends that were shorted and pushed them back in the wall.

Now everything works well and no shorts detected.

Thor said originally that the short is probably in an outlet with one of the wires coming off and touching another. This was not the case as the short was somewhere in the run of the wire from the bedroom desk to the living room TV. I also found out that the circuit breaker assigned to the GFCI breaker was not what Thor said; different breaker. You might want to make sure which one in your rig. Also, Thor did supply an electrical wiring diagram but this only described where outlets are located in the rig by picture and a chart of which outlets are connected together in a specific circuit. However, I found several errors in what they described.

Also, while doing the new outlets, I installed two USB charging outlets in two locations. One in the kitchen, under the cabinet by the couch and the other in the bedroom by the light switch. These units have two regular sockets and have two USB sockets for charging. Picked them up at Lowes, but they are available other places.

Hope this helps.

Robert

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum