Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: load weight
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #51
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
....cut...

Physically: I bet the E350 and E450 chassis are so similar that the extra few lbs won't make much of a difference either. The only thing I'd be worried about is the axle weight ratings.

....cut.....
I recently found the 2017 MY Ford specs for cutaway and stripped E-Series chassis, and nothing much has changed yet (they may make some spec revisions later with V8 engine because of weight differences, etc.).

Anyway, as before, the chassis frame is described identically for both E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis. The section modulus is 5.73 cu. in. for both, and both have 36,000 PSI steel.

The front axle is the same at 5,000 pounds, although some E-350 get lighter front springs which derate capacity. As can be seen on picture posted previously above, some if not all Axis come with optional 5,000-pound front capacity (heavier springs). Sway bar is the same for both.

The main difference remains the rear axle assembly and rear springs. E-350s get the 8,500-pound axle while E-450s get the heavier duty 9,600-pound axle. In theory there is an 1,100-pound difference, yet GVWR difference is 2,000 pounds (12,500 vs 14,500).

Wheels and tires remain the same for DRW E-350s and E-450s. Only the SRW E-350s get larger wheels and tires.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum