Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I see the advantage of 6V over 12V simply as price per usable AHr capacity for X amount of probable life in a form factor that is readily available. Getting the same type of individual cell capacity of a GC but in a single 12V package has always been quite a bit more expensive option in my battery power solutions for projects.

Basically the idea of using 2V individual cells boils down to what impact those external connections might make. My rule of thumb in every series configuration I've done is that the connection between cells in series must be identical and that would be difficult if the cells had to be in different locations. I wouldn't recommend a long distance between GC batteries either ... if you must store in multiple locations I'd recommend each location to have same capacity and final voltage so they connect in parallel.
I can't follow what you seem to be implying -- sorry if I'm not reading it correctly.

I'm talking about building the equivalent of a single 12-Volt battery out of 6 cells connected in series. All 12-Volt lead acid batteries have 6 cells connected in series. When we connect two 6-Volt batteries in series we also end up with a total of the same 6 cells connected in series, right? In that case most connections are built into battery and one is external.

When you only have two 6-Volt batteries in series, why is the interconnecting cable length critical? Granted you want to keep all cables as short as possible, but why would that particular cable make a difference compared to ground or positive cables?

I'm also confused by your reference to connecting in parallel. The main goal here is to eliminate parallel connections regardless of battery bank size. Instead of many batteries in a combination of series and parallel, we'd only have 6 cells (each of very large size) just like if it was one very large 12-Volt battery. The only real difference is that the 5 connections between the 6 cells are external instead of internal.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum