Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
When Motorhome Magazine tested the 5-Star Tune, they got more power but economy went down from 6.75 to 6.50 MPG.

5 Star Tuning Talk - MotorHome Magazine May 2016 - 5 Star Tuning
Thanks for the link to an interesting article. If answered my question on possible warrantee issues but did not really make me want to run out and spent $500. I put 60,000 miles on two 5 speed, Ford V-10s over the past five years - all over the Rocky Mountains and to Alaska and back and I just returned from a 6000 mile trip in my 2016 6 speed Axis thru the Colorado mountains. I found the difference between the two power trains substantial both in gas mileage and performance. I got abot 10% better gas mileage with the 6 speed and I found performance up hill to be much improved. I found I could "ride" most hills by bleeding off some speed and listening to the engine rather than allowing it to downshift. I felt I had much better control of when the engine downshifted with the 6 Spd. Down hill performance using the tow/haul button was also much better. With the 5 Spd, I was continuously engaging and disengaging the tow/haul as the engine downshifted two or more gears and the rpms went above 4000. That happened much less with the 6 Spd. Again, I felt I had much better control even down long, steep grades. I not saying that 5 Star Tune would not make the 6 Spd V-10 better, but I would have to see some hard evidence before I want to dish out $500.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.