Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
A follow up.

Last weekind our water pump started to cycle on and off, about once every 30 seconds. Uh oh. I have a leak somewhere.

But if I am lucky, it might be a bad diaphragm in the pump that is not holding pressure.

I have noticed the water pump cycled once about every 30 minutes previously but didn't think much of it as it might just be "normal" loss of pressure from just being dormant.

But not once every 30 seconds. That is clearly abnormal.

And... I found a leak. Luckily, it was the nylon drain cap in the water heater. Water was leaking out of the water heater like crazy. And, I had just replaced the cap earlier this season due to the previous owner/dealer/factory (whomever it was) using a pair of pliers to tighten/loosen the cap previously.

The cap had a crack in it... good ol' Made in China plumbing.

So, after replacing the plug... no more leaks, no more pump cycling, and no more banging pipes.

I am theorizing that the 30 minute pump cycling was due to the cap starting to leak, and was letting a small amount of air in the pipes, which was causing the banging.

So, those of you having these symptoms - check for a small water leak.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.