Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Bird testing?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post

Didn't check when the generator was running. But I did check with shore power only.

With shore power:
Chassis Battery: 13.2
House Battery: 14.4

Note: I couldn't actually trace the wiring from the trambotta to the batteries because both wires went behind paneling, but at the same time I took the measurements above I also measured the batteries. Voltage was similar for the trambotta posts as the batteries (+/- 0.2 volts).

I’m not tracking on why you would expect to see reverse voltage when the engine is running?

Would measurements for the house battery of 11.8v signify that there is no electricity being feed into the batteries from the alternator?

I think our BIRDs may different, I've also got a different model MH, so that may explain the difference. I've attached a picture of mine. The purple wire is supposed to measure 13.2 when the engine is running, mine is at 12.1. When I measured the voltage on the purple wire I waited about 3 minutes after starting the coach to measure.
You were (are) having an issue with the alternator charging your house batteries. If the BIRD and Trombetta are working correctly, after you turn on you engine, the alternator charges only the chassis battery. When the voltage of the chassis battery gets above 12.8v for one minute, the BIRD senses that and opens the Trombetta to allow both banks to charge. It does that by sending voltage thru your purple wire to the Trombetta. Either that is not happening or the Trombetta is receiving the voltage but is not opening.
I asked if you had checked the voltages of the batteries while hooked up to shore power because if the BIRD works in that direction then the Trombetta is working. If you waited for the house batteries to charge above 13.1v, from the voltages you recorded while under shore power the Trombetta is not opening that way either. This means that you cannot rule out the Trombetta as the problem. However, If the BIRD is supposed to put out 13.2v to the Trombetta continuously and yours is only putting out 12.2v, then the BIRD is probably bad.
While your BIRD may be a different version, it looks like the same or a very similar model to the one in my 2016 Axis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.