Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli22sli View Post
Mr Sunshine: I have a similar situation . I just bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 (second owner) and I plan to use my same tow vehicle. I took the unified tow brake controller and umbilical cord out of my old RV but can't find anyone to install it in my Axis quickly . The several RV dealers I consulted said they were booked up for 3 weeks to 2 months and I'd like to use it for a trip I'm leaving on in a week. I really like the UTB and it's worked well for me on my old motor home.

So I guess I'll get some experience using the Axis 24.1 with out a tow vehicle. I may have to rent a car in some places.

Sli22sli

The install on the coach is not such a big deal, with the instructions in hand. US Gear has instructions on their website. The harder part is mounting the unit to the toad. PM me with your phone number, and I'll talk you through it. If you took it out of the old coach yourself, it should be a snap!

If you just can't tackle this simple project, search online for RV service and repair. Your experience with big dealers is common. A mobile tech can do the wiring in no time, and will come to you.

Maybe a trip without the car would be a good thing. Many of our forum friends travel sans tow car and get along fine. If you will need multiple rentals, you'll wish you had found a way to tow that car you left at home.

For those reading this who are considering a brake system, there are a lot of gamblers out there towing without brake systems. Many states don't require separate brakes, but some do. Should there be an accident, you'll be glad you had a brake system, the cost of a brake system wouldn't pay for much lawyering! Before you head out with an unbraked toad, check out www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm and look at the column "Brake Laws Towed Cars" and Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.