Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
Sli22sli

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
Driving up steep hills

I'm planning a trip and there are some steep hills on interstate roads. I'm wondering what the best procedures to use to go up the hills. I have a 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 on an e450 chassis and a v10 8.6l engine. I will not be pulling a toad on this first trip. My instincts based on my driving experience is to downshift and watch the rpm's and water temp ( I don't have a transmission oil temp) and take it slow. -40 mph or whatever feels comfortable. I'd appreciate any info on what has worked best for you on driving up long steep hills.

Going down hill may be even be more of a chalange. I usually downshift to about the same gears I used going up. The ford transmission also has a transmission lock button on the shift lever but I have not used that before.

Any information on procedures that you have used and found useful going up and down steep hills would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sli22sli

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum