Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Lastly, that empty slide-room box in video didn't appear to weigh much at all, and he still had to lean into it to get it to move. If it was a real RV slide room loaded down with furniture, appliances, and utility connections, I can't even start to imagine how many strong adults it would take to push a slide in.

I actually learned a few useful things from the videos (including the need for ladder, precut 2X4s, etc.), but we have to remember these videos are marketing tools and therefore were created in the best possible light to make the system look as attractive as possible. That's understandable, but it doesn't necessarily represent reality for many owners.
A couple of other points:

Those motors aren't very big so the slide must be well balanced and have additional "rollers" (hence the problems with the full wall slides not working well with the Schwintek system when the rollers aren't installed properly). Thus it may not take a lot of oomph to push the slide in.

The other thing not mentioned there: A user may not have the best access to the motor (like in the Axis/Vegas 24.1 the motor towards the rear of the camper: Inside access is blocked by the bathroom wall).

Our Axis came with a slide-lock. The only time I would even consider using it is if there was an issue and I had removed the motors. No precut 2x4 is necessary: The slide-lock should suffice.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.