Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
dhgasman55

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1091
How to find out for sure?

Hello All,

I really, really need some help here and would appreciate any and all information about the following:

We bought an ACE 30.1 (2014) on August 8th. We want to buy my sister's 1997 Nissan Sentra GLE (automatic transmission) to tow behind it.

We've been working with camping world to put together a tow package and they've been in touch with Remco towing regarding the details of what might, or might not be needed. Here's where it gets confusing:

The original manual for the car states that the car shouldn't be towed with all four wheels on the ground except for extremely short distances and at extremely slow speeds. Of course this is under the "emergencies" section of the manual in regards to emergency towing and there is absolutely no details whatsoever in regards to towing behind a motor home.

Remco told Camping World that yes the car is dinghy towable, but needs a "lube pump" in addition to the regular tow package, then Remco went on to state that we needed to know the specific transmission for the car to make sure it either did, or did not correspond with a transmission number they gave to the representative at Camping World. Of course the number they gave him is not listed by Nissan as having gone in any Nissan Sentra in 1997.

So- at this point- I need some advice on how I can find out FOR SURE about whether I can dinghy tow this car, whether or not I do need a lube pump, or- if the car has to be towed with the front wheels off the ground and what would be involved in doing that- towing with the front wheel off the ground does not sound as straightforward as dinghy towing, but I am an absolute rank novice about all of this.

HELP??!!

and THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

Dave & Sue Harvey
'14 ACE 30.1
'15 Lexus RX 350
'10 Chev. Camaro SS/RS
'02 Pont. Firehawk Conv. #126
'63 Chev. Impala SS-409
hopefully: '97 Nissan Sentra GLE

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum