Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #48
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thanks for sharing winter experiences, ideas, and links. We have also considered "all-electric" Class Bs to make traveling less cumbersome but I need to rethink how an all-electric with limited heating may affect winter camping and/or traveling (leaving it unattended would seem more of an issue than if propane heated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
....cut....

The biggest "gotcha" during cold weather camping is the fresh water hose. I have seen more split hoses and connectors because campers do not disconnect the hose at night. Some campgrounds, but not all, will come around and turn off the water and disconnect your hose from their hydrant if temps are projected to drop below freezing. If they disconnect the hose you can expect to wake up the next morning to a frozen hose that you cannot roll up due to the ice inside. But rest assured, you'll only make that mistake once.

....cut....
Yeah, still remember my first and hopefully last frozen hose. It was before smart phones and iPads, and temperature dropped unexpectantly fast overnight near Tallahassee, Florida at Christmas time.

My Class C at the time did not have heated tanks, and fortunately nothing was damaged. Even the hose was OK after it thawed.

As I recall (and it was almost 20 years ago), the dump slide valves froze enough to keep them from moving freely. I wonder if tank heating pads is really of much help if a lot of the grey and black pipes downstream of tanks isn't protected enough. Insulation slows freezing, but doesn't always prevent it. That's probably where antifreeze Jamie mentioned would come in handy to flush toilet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum