Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #49
Larry

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Larry,

I've done quite a bit of cold weather camping. When I know I am going out in the cold I will dry winterize the coach (blow the lines out with air (45 - 50 PSI). For the trip I then fill the fresh water take to about 1/3. If temps are below freezing I will run the furnace which heats my wet bay and tank storage compartments. If temps are above freezing but chilly I will use the fireplace and/or electric heater during the day and then set the furnace to around 55 at night. When I know my season is over I will winterize with antifreeze.

On my prior C I had the Artic Pak (tank heaters) which came on when temps dropped below 35 degrees. That coach also had the wet bay (pump and whole house filter) in a storage compartment heated by the furnace.

The biggest "gotcha" during cold weather camping is the fresh water hose. I have seen more split hoses and connectors because campers do not disconnect the hose at night. Some campgrounds, but not all, will come around and turn off the water and disconnect your hose from their hydrant if temps are projected to drop below freezing. If they disconnect the hose you can expect to wake up the next morning to a frozen hose that you cannot roll up due to the ice inside. But rest assured, you'll only make that mistake once.

The pic below was taken Nov 1, 2014 when we were on our way to Nashville. The campground shut off water from sundown to 10:00 am everyday. We spent 3 days at this location. Some folks failed to listen to the hosts and read the notice and didn't have water in their fresh tank. Nobody to blame but themselves.

Enjoy.

Attachment 3229
Thanks Dave. That gives me some helpful hints. I don't plan on doing any dry camping. Just maybe moving from one open CG to another. We have stayed a couple of nights in a CG in N. GA mountains when the temp was around 30 degrees and the camp host came around each site and advised disconnecting the fresh water hose due to a freeze warning. No problems those nights.

Your picture looks like the frozen tundra I mentioned earlier. One never knows what mother nature might bring.

Regards.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.