Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
The braking system should be powered from the RV; unless you use the RV to keep the dinghy battery charged.
The braking system has to be powered by the dinghy/toad - or it won't work in a 'breakaway'...
The toad battery should be kept charged by the RV feed.
The 'normal' (there ARE variations) pin convention of the 7 wire connector includes a continuous 12v feed from the RV... shouldn't have to run an additional wire.

Not familiar with the Patriot specifically... I use Invisibrake - it has a direct line to toad battery (battery disconnected from rest of vehicle in my case for flat tow) - as well as to the RV trailer wiring harness of power (12v continuous feed) and brake light and charges the toad battery from the RV feed...
(I did need to run an extra wire for the monitor light on the dash of the MH... that has a connector right by the 7 pin harness for a single wire from toad.)

Everything stays happy and charged when connected - and if ever needed - the brakes will engage for a breakaway.

Using a direct connect to toad battery rather than ignition in accessory will limit the battery draw to the braking system only - but ideally want to be charging the toad by some means.

Looks like newest Patriot (BRK2010/2012) includes a battery according to their website... "Built in battery ensures power is always available to the brake."
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.