Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It goes beyond that. The premise of the argument is that a steering stabilizer will keep the wheels pointed straight ahead, but if it were strong enough to make that happen, how would you then steer the MH for quick maneuvers if needed?

Not only that, but there is statistical proof that vehicles like mine (and many others) are more likely to lose control when a rear tire blows than a front one, and rear tires can't steer themselves away from straight ahead when on a solid axle. If simply keeping a tire pointed ahead was better, then why are rear blowouts more dangerous on most 4-wheel vehicles.
Since I don't have a Safe-T installed I don't know the exact answer. But I have looked at them and they are not built to lock the wheels straight. I am pretty sure you can turn the steering freely. If you are traveling down the interstate at 65mph and you think one of the maneuvers available to you is swerving, like you may be able to do in your car, then you have no business ever getting behind the wheel of a large MH anyway.

Chance, since your signature never lists what type of unit you may have, only lists "still looking", are you basing the opinions on certain articles, experience in a 28' MH, 38' MH, 45' DP?????

I can assure you that based on real life experiences (retired IL State Police) that for the average driver a front steer tire blow out is much more dangerous for trucks, RV's, cars, and motorcycles alike, rather than a rear blow out on a vehicle. Why do you think Federal transportation regulations (plus many states) require a different tread depth on front tires than rear tires on commercial vehicles?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.