Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #34
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Now that ^^^ cracks me up

Recommendations to blindly add a stabilizer to fix a chassis handling issue is simply bad advice. Good advice would be to "ensure" there are no chassis issues first. Stabilizers can mask issues that can increase the probability for a blowout.

To fine tune a chassis, consider disconnecting your steering shock so you can feel the behavior.

Personally I like a heavy dampened stabilizer/shock but also experienced a masked chassis issue on a brand new RV with STP unit added that I later discovered as excessive tire wear. That was an example where my adding the STP was actually a dangerous choice because I used it to "fix" a chassis issue. It allowed me to blissfully drive comfortably down the road. For me as the driver it worked wonderfully and initially I became one of the religious folk preaching the praises of STP ... until the realization of increased blowout risk set in.

Look at a stabilizer for what it really is ... they are simply dampeners for the link arm with choices of biasing and shock valving preferences. They do not appropriately fix bushings, lash or alignments that are out of spec.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum