Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
nosticks

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
For inquiring minds, here is what I found.

The black plastic electrical box containing the 110v wiring and the 12v relay was so badly melted that I had to cut it out with snips. The white (hot) 110v wire and what was left of the wire nut had fused itself to the inside of the electrical box. The white wire had melted insulation for about 3” from the tip. All other wires were undamaged, although I had to cut some to remove the melted box. I removed the wire nut on the neutral (black) wire and found what I think contributed to the problem. The black wire had only about 1/8” stripped from the end and was jammed in the wire nut without twisting the wires together first. The connection was not very secure. I suspect the white nut was the same. I also think the wire nut technician needs some remedial training.

The relay still functioned so I rewired everything using butt connectors. I tested both electric operation and gas operation. The water heater cycled as it should. I’m off to buy two good smoke alarms to replace the original $1.98 one that did not work for me when needed.

As a final note, I know I mentioned there are many novice and first time rv owners out there, let me just say to you, just because you don’t have a Four Winds 22e, or a Vegas/Axis 25.1 doesn’t mean this does not apply to you. It’s about safe practices in the manufacturing process and things that can go wrong along the way. Check those connections.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum