Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #40
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Now that ^^^ cracks me up

Recommendations to blindly add a stabilizer to fix a chassis handling issue is simply bad advice. Good advice would be to "ensure" there are no chassis issues first. Stabilizers can mask issues that can increase the probability for a blowout.

To fine tune a chassis, consider disconnecting your steering shock so you can feel the behavior.

Personally I like a heavy dampened stabilizer/shock but also experienced a masked chassis issue on a brand new RV with STP unit added that I later discovered as excessive tire wear. That was an example where my adding the STP was actually a dangerous choice because I used it to "fix" a chassis issue. It allowed me to blissfully drive comfortably down the road. For me as the driver it worked wonderfully and initially I became one of the religious folk preaching the praises of STP ... until the realization of increased blowout risk set in.

Look at a stabilizer for what it really is ... they are simply dampeners for the link arm with choices of biasing and shock valving preferences. They do not appropriately fix bushings, lash or alignments that are out of spec.
I think some of the experienced folks on here (which isn't me) have made it clear that you should have your front end aligned and make sure everything is working before setting out on the CHF and add-ons.

When I started this post I knew my coach needed some handling improvements and wanted suggestions from folks that had been through it. My buddy and I did the CHF front and rear. While under the unit we inspected everything. In about an hour the front end will be aligned and the professionals will be inspecting everything again.

If others have installed the Safe-T or other devises and are happy, or not with them I am glad to hear about it. If someone has no experience with adding these things or doesn't even have a large MH with handling issues, then don't try to hijack the thread with false facts about front end blow outs being less dangerous compared to rear ones.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum