Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #21
zman7458

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37MD outlaw
State: Missouri
THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
As I get closer to ordering my solar equipment for my project, I would be interested in a progress report. How did your install go? How are the VMAX AGM batteries working out?
sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been busy with other aspects of getting things ready for our virgin voyage.
everything has amazingly worked out better than I had hoped for (knock wood) I pulled the RV down out of the shade a couple weeks ago for a full system test and I ran the existing on board 55 amp 12 volt converter with all my lights (leds), fans, radio, television, my tv amplifier and usb 4 port accessory charger, my 5amp garage A/C on high, my front 13amp A/C on high, My fridge and my microwave on high for 3 minutes and the system went into alarm when I kicked the microwave on and the aims readout said it was outputting 125% capacity, but it held for the full three minutes the microwave ran and went back out of alarm when the microwave shut off. All of my 4/0 wires stayed cool to the touch except the positive and negative that runs from my multi bus to the inverter and they were just slightly warm to the touch but not hot by any means. The inverter was outputting approx. 300 amps and the solar was inputting approx. 35 amps and like I said the whole system held until the microwave timed out and everything fell below the 100% alarm state and kept running without needing a reset. So all told I counted that a successful test and everything has been just fine every since . The only item that failed on me was the cheapo 400amp switchable disconnects which both failed at around 150 amps sustained, but I am replacing those with some 500amp fuses which I hope will hold better than the disconnects did. The batteries stayed below 90 degrees F and never kicked their fan on, the inverter kicked its fan on at 90 degrees F and held at 107 degrees F. Thanks for your interest and feel free to ask about anything else you want to know or chat about.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.