Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:22 AM   #43
G-mo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #5743
Seiki Decoder - Conversation with Thor Rep

Just like many of you, this weekend I attempted my first cable TV experience, which was unsuccessful. After reading some of these posts, and threads on other RV sites, I educated myself on the decoder issue.
According to the Thor Rep: The decoder is a chip in the TV IS there, but the manufacturer (Seiki) chooses to not pay for the license at this time in order to be able to use it. Other manufacturers also choose not to (according to him), including Element, Septer, Hisense, RCA, and ProScan.
He suggested a decoder box, but while looking at these, it appears to me I'd have to either (a) have separate ones for each TV, or (b) his suggestion is to install one before the splitter. If I did that, it looks like I'd be in a situation where each TV would simultaneously be on a single channel. He thought I might be right, but perhaps others more skilled than I can answer that one.
FYI's:
The splitter (on a Vegas 25.2) is likely under the bed, so requires removal of the platform.
Like others stated, Thor will not swap TV's with able brands/models. Not looking for a freebie, but seems to me that putting out $70k+ for a product should influence Thor to invest in the extra $50 or so to choose a capable option. Given the number of quality issues on my initial 4 trips, this nickel and dime stuff to make it right adds levels of frustration. I knew I'd have to be patient, but... ugggh.
I know the idea is to get out and enjoy nature, but at the times nature doesn't cooperate, or enjoying nature requires recuperation, it'd be nice to be distracted with some television signals for which I thought I already paid.
I know it will get better, and this is the smallest of my Thor issues, but I'm searching for a small "w" at some point. Maybe that will have to wait for spring.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.