Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I crawled under the chassis to take a closer look at the suspension and stuff. I have done sports car racing as a hobby and have a good understanding of suspension setup, but I'm not as familiar with trucks.

There is already a steering damper of some sort installed from the factory, looks similar to the Saf-T-Plus type. Just from eyeballing the wheels, it looks like the front wheels have some positive camber, so I think that getting the camber to zero or slightly negative would help. I've also heard that increasing caster helps a lot, so at some point I will probably get an adjustable camber/caster sleeve and get a good alignment done. I was going to check tire pressures, but all my gauges only go up to 60psi so I need to get a wider range gauge.

I read that some motorhomes come with adjustable swaybars, so you can just move the endlinks to a different hole to stiffen them, but my swaybars do not have multiple endlink attachment points.

I also noticed that the plastic mud flap that's in front of the left rear tires has been rubbing on the tires. It is only attached at the top so wind resistance pushes it into the tires, and it has worn holes through the flap. There is an empty bolt hole in the flap and some ripped out screw holes at the side of the coach, so there was apparently a strap that was supposed to hold the flap away from the tires, but it's gone now. As a temporary fix I ran a wire through the hole in the flap and secured it to a bracket to hold it away from the tires.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum