Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Hudsoner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
!

I guess my point is you won't find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, if there was one it would have been discovered a long time ago. This forum is filled with some extremely smart and inventive individuals and if they can't find the gold then I don't think anyone can!!!
I might not be able to find a pot of gold, but I might find a pot of silver.

I made my living as a researcher (biomedical stuff) and I apply the skills that I gained in my job to the problem with the ride comfort. I am also in the pretty lucky position to have a son who is a master mechanic with the largest Ford dealer in the state.
He as the tools and the knowledge to do things to this truck that most others can't.
I don't know if you recall the days that cars were riding on leaf springs, and they had a pretty comfortable ride on those platforms.
Ford designed those leaf springs of the F53F550 to handle heavy weights. Kelderman went with their knowledge about that and exchanged the leaf springs in the front to softer springs and helped them with air bags.
Kelderman suspension modifications are almost as good as the air ride systems of buses or big diesel pushers. There is no reason in the world that I cannot get a similar ride quality as Kelderman achieves with their system. Knowing what Kelderman does, and also knowing that any spring of a 4 x 4 F series pickup fits physically into any F series truck allows me to find the proper springs for my motorhome. F series springs can be found at any junk yard. Once you know what you are looking for, it should be easy to find the right springs for your application.
The Ford spring ratings are:
S codes = 4000lbs capacity, 370 inch/lbs, 4.34" travel.
B codes = 4100lbs capacity, 330 inch/lbs, 5.02" travel.
C codes = 4300lbs capacity, 350 inch/lbs, 5.01" travel.
T codes = 4400lbs capacity, 390 inch/lbs, 4.63" travel.
D codes = 4700lbs capacity, 380 inch/lbs, 5.14" travel.
U codes = 4800lbs capacity, 410 inch/lbs, 4.89" travel.
V codes = 5200lbs capacity, 430 inch/lbs, 5.13" travel.
W codes = 5600lbs capacity, 450 inch/lbs, 5.34" travel.
X codes = 6000lbs capacity, 470 inch/lbs, 5.54" travel.
Capacity is per set.
As one can see, the weight rating increases by 400 lb from spring to spring. If your motorhome has a very harsh ride means that your spring rating is to high for the weight. This means that the spring never really will function as such.

I know that my unit is about 350 lb to light in the front (I have 6000 lbs springs installed), and I should go with W code springs and some kind of helper system,
To proof my theory, I will add about 350 lb of steel to the front of my rig (In front of the wheels) and see how the ride is when I go south in the winter. I have Sumo maxim springs installed, and they would be the helper springs like the air bags in the Kelderman systems.
If this theory proves it self to be correct, I will install
W code springs next year, and I should get a ride that is pretty close to that of vehicles with air suspension.
Not exactly a pot of god, but pretty close to it!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum