Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 AM   #14
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Hudson, I had an opposite front spring condition, though still related to your spring thoughts...

Mid to late 90's I had a 24' C where I tried most handling related items like; both the external and internal center biased stabilizers, sway bars, shocks, timbrens similar to sumo, tires, wheels, etc ... While way better and pretty darn nice to drive it still just wasn't quite "right". I figured the only possibility left to try was an air ride conversion.

I ended up taking the RV to an old truck spring guru for a chat and a look see. ... Under-sprung on the front and apposing corner sag ... best I recall his response. The weight on the front made sense because it had a high WB to length ratio and the front was slightly over its maximum rating. Also the measured weights left and right sides of the axels had considerably different numbers e.g. if the OEM springs were a matched pair they did not match the individual load they carried.

He was more than willing to install an air ride system but said he could fix the springs for a lot less. After the spring rates were position matched, there was a certain driving feel when everything is "right". Certainly any RV is a heavy loaded truck no matter what you do to it and common sense should tell us that. However, when things are right, you know it and everything else was a compromise that I tried living with.

The point for me was that I chased solutions to a slight problem plaguing that particular RV. Each change seemed to make some aspect of handling better. However, it would have been considerably less cost and so much faster to have the spring work done first. Another comment: Springs were never mentioned when I looked or asked for solutions, sadly expected I guess for most every place that also sells handling add-ons.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum