Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #28
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The more I think about it the more I'd like to see a motorhome with the hybrid bed "slides" or rather "pop outs" like these:

Then you can have the additional room of having the bed "outside" the interior and the simplicity of a simple hinge. Our first camper was a hybrid like that and I really liked it (other than the crappy quality..oh there is that word again LOL).

Sure you'd still have the hole in the wall, but not much added weight (the hinge, the locking mechanism, some canvas, and a foam mattress).

One on the back or rear side of a Vegas/Axis unit would be perfect (it wouldn't do much good on something larger like a Challenger LOL).
Those types of hybrids certainly offer a lot of value for the cost.

We rented one almost like that one (different brand) for a week years ago and found it very easy to tow -- it was very light yet stable. It was also very roomy for the size of the box since the main beds were two queens; one at each end. The inside had a dinette and a gaucho couch so plenty of seating, had a nice size bathroom, and adequate counter space.

Because there were only two of us, a lot of the space was essentially wasted on us. It would have been great for traveling with a family.

There were a few things I didn't like though. Outside noise came through canvas unimpeded, making it too easy to hear outside even with air conditioner on; and opposite as well. Another was having to break camp in rain and folding the ends wet.

Some campgrounds don't allow any soft-sided RVs, so that could be an issue. Similar pros and cons apply to roof-mounted beds in vans which expands sleeping to four, provided one is agile enough to climb that high -- upper bed over 6-ft above floor in some cases. I'm really glad we rented it for a week, because when my wife thought about ordering a Sportsmobile van with pop-up roof, it gave us a point of reference to predict how we'd like it.

Everything else being equal, I'd go with a larger trailer or van if available to avoid anything that opens up. It's that KISS thing for me. Same with motorhomes. I'd much rather add a foot in length to an Axis than a slide off the back. Simple works even if not as roomy or as convenient. Beds that fold out of the way, elevate against ceiling, or convert to anything else is my preference rather than expand to outside.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.