Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
"The Nest" and it's solar

This is what has been completed to date on our solar mod.
The system has 3 - 100 watt solar panels on home made 3/4 pvc stands.
The PWM Charge Controller, breaker panel and Trimetric are located in what use to house a T.V.
Wiring is 8 AWG from the panels to the breaker panel. Breaker panel to CC and CC to tie point is 4 AWG, largest wire the breakers and CC could handle.
Wiring from the tie point is 2 AWG.
The CC also has remote sense and temp inputs.
3 solar panels :

Shunt under steps:

Controls:

Home made clamp:

Since I didn't have 1 1/2 inch clamps for the split tubing, I drilled small holes through storage compartment and looped ty-raps around the tubing and through the holes.

The Green thing that looks like beads is to tie up the 8 AWG wire when we travel.
While I had the house batteries out to install the shunt and it's housing the strap battery hold down system was replaced with regular automotive battery rod and wing nut hold downs. Battery wiring was marked with phasing tape to keep tract of polarity. Also both jumpers between batteries were resized to get a better match. Holes made to run the cables will be filled with expanding foam and painted.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum