Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #67
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I'm a noob to RVing. We just got our MH this summer. Have had a lot of coaching from experienced friends and reading here, etc. One thing I reaad is that someone recommended getting a 50 to 30 amp dogbone on one of the threads. Not that you will run into sites that are only 50 amp, but you could find that is all that is available if the pedestal is shared for some reason and only the 50 is available.

Well, we do not have that many trips under our belts yet, but this year already, I found that I needed my 50-30 amp dogbone. While plugging into the 30 amp outlet, there was some arcing in the breaker. I quickly unplugged it. Pulled out the 50 amp dogbone and plugged in the coach to the 50 amp service.

So it is good to have these things.

I see a generator cord mentioned. Do the generators typically plug in? I thought (assumed) mine was hard-wired. Any thoughts on that? Will have to look at the coach net time I go up there. It is in storage for winter now.

John
External generators and marine shore power have a different plug than RV shore power. In the marine version the 30 amp male and female ends fit together. In the RV shore power cords, they do not. That means that you cannot join two RV 30 amp cords together if one is too short to reach. The generator adapter allows you to join two RV cords together. It also allows you to hook your 30 amp RV cord to a marine shore power pedestal or an external generator. The generator in you RV is hard wired and does not require a cord. I have 30 amp marine power on my dock for my boat. Using the generator adapter cord, I can hook my 50 ', 30 amp marine power cord to my 25' RV cord and supply 30 amp power to my RV - 76' away.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.