Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
Ag&Au

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Expanding on comment above about some Airstream trailers having only one combo tank, I also noticed in Noverber 2016 MotorHome Magazine that the 45-foot luxury Foretravel DP has freshwater capacity of 135 gallons, and

"Black/Gray Tank Capacity 145 gal (one holding tank)"

With newer dumping technologies maybe it makes more sense to consolidate the black and gray into one. It would not surprise me at all to see a trend in this direction because it solves other problems as well.
As far as I am aware, it is only some vintage Airstreams that have single tanks.

Personally I do not like the idea of allowing black tank matter to enter the grey tank for any reason. My main concern is the shower floor drain that is very close to the grey tank both in proximity and length of plumbing. If the grey tank does overfill for any reason (for instance a sink faucet failing or accidentally left open. I do not want fecal matter entering the shower floor and then possibly overflowing to the rest of the RV floor. The earlier idea of just allowing the black tank valve to open slightly is of no help, because turds are water soluble and liquefy readily. If you don't believe me, capture one and place in a glass of water.

For these reasons I would not buy an RV with one tank.

I use the method mentioned in a post above of leaving the grey water valve open when camping if I have a sewer hookup. I close it some time before I anticipate dumping the black tank.. I also use a Sewer Solution, which has a back washing capability.

I want the contents of the grey water tank to be as clean as possible in case some circumstance requires it to be drained onto the ground.

Ken

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum