Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #12
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
How does it drive without the towed vehicle?

I have noticed even with my rig, that going around corners I can feel the towed vehicle a bit.

I am still thinking your issue is primarily due to the short wheelbase of your RV, coupled with the high profile/short wheelbase of your towed vehicle, especially since you are (or were) having "tail wag" issues with the towed vehicle.

About the only other thing I can think of is weight bias (front vs. rear weight). If there is too much weight in the rear, the vehicle can feel like driving on ice.

Of course, there is no easy fix to this, and it might end up costing even more money fix. The only way I know of to do this is to modify the rear springs (air bags, helper springs, spring stiffeners, etc), which could move the center-of-gravity forward.

The ability for these items to move the center-of-gravity is limited, so don't expect miracles (hopefully though, the cumulative changes will improve the result). And you could make it worse too.

First though, weigh the front of the rig vs. the rear to find out if you have this problem to begin with.

Next, depending on where things are located, either travel with the water tank empty (if in the rear) or perhaps full (if in the front), try shifting cargo, and so on.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum