Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Thanks again for your comments! Good to know a 2-3 hr generator run a day would work with the 68lb Lp tank. I didn't list air conditioner under essentials mostly because I have not had that luxury before...I will likely use it too once I get familiar with the more general power requirements.
This unit will have the upgrade 13,500 BTU AC with heat pump. I will have to learn how to make the heat pump work for (vs against) creating optimum temperature. Nancy

Regarding the heat pump, I'm not sure just how many owners will actually benefit significantly from a heat pump from an energy or cost perspective. This becomes even more of a question if the motorhome's or trailer's generator runs off LPG.

A heat pump does deliver more heat than electrical energy it consumes (a major RV heat pump manufacturer stating about 2-1/2 times as much), but the problem is that a generator converts very little of fuel energy into electricity.

Based on manufacturers' data, I ran the numbers again (had done it before for my family member with trailer mentioned above), and you can get more overall efficiency by using the LPG directly in furnace. To me it makes little sense to run a generator on propane solely to power a heat pump rather than use the propane directly in furnace -- assuming you were not going to run generator anyway to power battery charger (converter), or TVs, etc.

Similarly, if at a campground where electricity is paid for already, using electric heat strip (granted it's less efficient than heat pump) will cost the campground more, but not the owner of the RV.

The only scenario I can think of to save with a heat pump is if a full timer paid for metered electricity separately, and that would depend on rates. We'd also have to consider that below 40 to 45 F the heat pump will shut off -- according to major manufacturer.

For what it's worth, my family member who is not a full timer, had their heat pump fail twice under warranty and asked dealer to replace it with standard air conditioner.

P.S. -- A 3600-watt Onan running at 50% is rated to burn 2.4 pounds per hour. With a full 68-pound tank it should run at 50% for almost 30 hours. However, under less than ideal conditions and while using LPG for cooking and water heater etc., trying to run an air conditioner or heat pump may use it up faster than many owners would expect.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.