Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Dinghy set up
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
BSexton

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Received the Patriot today. Set it in the Jeep and looks like it will work.
Mounted and ran the break away switch wiring. E-trailer in the video suggested mounting it to the bumper bottom. Didn't like the location as it stuck out to far. Moved it to the winch mounting plate. Easier access and gets some protection while it's independent of the base plate for the tow bar.
Haven't decided where to keep the break away switch wiring when not in use. Under a floor mat where stuff tends to get wet in Jeeps doesn't seem like a good place.
We use the Patriot braking system on our Jeep and had good success with it. (I haven't had a chance to tow the Jeep with the new Axis, but did it a lot with my Itasca Reyo.)
I also mounted the break away switch around the winch. I did get a winch installed on the Jeep (hey, it spends it life in Moab, UT--there are a lot of trails and lots of chances to get stuck!). So, there was plenty of extra bolt locations when they took out the plate in the bumper.
As far as the break away wire, I just take a Velcro wire tie and bundle the wire up against the cloth lined door limiter (not sure what the technical term is for that thing! ). That keeps it up and out of the way when not needed, but easily accessible when I am towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Did a 20 mile test tow today. First in the neighborhood then to a boat ramp parking lot with plenty of maneuvering room. The we we pull up to a stop sign the brake unit in the dinghy never even comes on. Set the braking by using the manual brake switch at 10 mph. Little lite on the remote bothered me a bit, says break away on when it means break away armed. All checked out good. On Monday when we head for AZ will give it a 235 mile test. That will be a combination of interstate, US hwy and county roads. Be interesting if we meet some one on the CG road at Open Pond, USFS CG, as it's about 8 feet wide.
I always bump up the sensitivity on the Patriot to 7 as part of the start up process. That seems to be high enough that when I needed the extra breaking power, it was there. But, not high enough that it would engage the Jeeps breaks every time. Of course, that was with the old Reyo--I'm not sure what it will be like with the Axis. And, it will be March before I can get back out to Utah and test it out.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.