Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Howdy Ranger,

I feel your pain, I had a 2013 ACE 29.2 and had the same problem. I even had the problem when driving down the highway at 60 mph, if the temp was above 85-ish the Gen would shut down. After research and talking with a mechanic it appears that the design of the generator mounting limits and in some cases restricts air flow for the gen.

They (Thor) had come up with a work around for the ACE, if I remember right, some type of heat shield was added to cut down on the heat from the engine compartment and there may even have been a device for airflow as well. You could probably do a google search for Thor Generator overheat problems and you'll find some stuff!

In my experience I found that if I was driving and it was really hot, I would run the Gen and the coach AC's until it shutdown, then I wouldn't run it again. If I was stopped and conditions permitted, I would open the gen compartment door as well as remove the green cover to allow for more air flow. Also try opening adjacent compartment doors to allow for more airflow.

I figure it's a good thing when the gen will auto shut down for overheat conditions, after all the unit is trying to protect itself from serious damage!! The hard parts just trying to prevent the overheat condition!!

Hope this helps!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum