Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Axis First Trip
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
aa9zz

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Axis First Trip

I purchased my new Axis 24.1 on Wednesday, packed it up Thursday evening and took off Friday morning. I spent ten days traveling through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Total miles—2,018.

I did not find the quality control issues that many new owners have had. The only problem that I have found so far was very small and just a leaking kitchen drain. I bought silicone seal and that took care of it. I will take it apart and fix it correctly this winter. I think the buyer will always be able to find an issue or two but hopefully they will be small like mine.

One of my first thoughts was to take the bathroom door down and replace it with a curtain. My wife quickly over ruled that as she likes the room separation and the mirrors are placed so she can see to put on her make-up and fix her hair.

I received 10.3 MPH during the entire trip. I drove very conservatively at first, keeping between 55 and 65 MPH. The last day, and on the way home I did keep at 70 MPH a lot of the way.

I found no issues through the mountains as it has plenty of power for climbing but I could tell by the gas receipts when I was going up and not down. One tank was 7.3 MPG going up the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia.

The unit is very comfortable and has plenty of space.

One thing that I did not like was the power steering. The unit seemed very light in front and seemed to dance around somewhat, even after I lowered the tire pressure. I would like to feel the road a little better and not drift.

I had just changed from an Airstream Interstate 3500 and that unit seemed to grab the road. I did notice the difference in the grey and black tanks. My older unit had very small tanks and had to be dumped almost daily. It took five days to need to dump in the unit.

I think my wife and I are both very happy that we made the change and that we bought the correct unit.

Another issue is with the large front window. The view is great but how do you get all the bugs off. Anyone with an idea of the best product, not including elbow grease top keep the window clean?

I’ll post more as I think of things, but, the unit is easy to drive, has plenty of room and looks great. So great, in fact, that we have given at least a dozen tours from people coming over wanting something smaller or slightly larger than their unit. If I had been a commissioned salesperson I could have paid for the trip.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.