Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: House batteries
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #35
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When I had my F-Series pickups I looked into obtaining a PTO generator (since the trucks did have PTO). I doubt PTO is available on the E-Series stripped chassis--wouldn't that be interesting: just eliminate the Onan all together and put a generator off the V-10.

Of course we could always put this bad boy in the Axis too:
Generator Head - 10,000 Watts Max, Belt Driven
7.2kW!! Run two A/Cs and the RV sitting next to us LOL

I believe all the quiet Honda generators are fuel injected but our common Onan's are not and still have a carb.

Jamie, I think you will likely see an engine-driven alternator approach succeed in marketplace first because it can run at various engine RPMs. With a standard generator (unless it was inverter type), you'd be limited to one speed in order to get 60 Hz current. That's the beauty of the system that Roadtrek and now Hymer are offering (at least in principle -- Devils often in details).

A second alternator when supplied from chassis manufacturer is cheap -- like around $500 if I recall right. That's for a small +/- 250 Amp X 12-Volt alternator (over 3,000 watts) that could charge house batteries fairly fast.

But with a dedicated system/alternator for the house, it would make little sense to stay with 12 Volts. It requires too much current. That's where a stand-alone dedicated system needs to work at 48 Volts. And at that voltage even a 100-Amp alternator would produce more power than the typical 4,000-Watt Onan. You can buy a 200-Amp X 48-Volt alternator today that puts out around 10,000 watts. That's overkill though except to charge large lithium battery banks in minutes.

The Roadtrek system appears to me to be the way the industry will take power generation, except that it will adopt 48-Volt as the new standard. Below is a picture of components Roadtrek integrate to work as one. Lithium battery bank, solar, inverter, alternator, and controls. I like the principle a lot, just don't know about how well the design has been executed.

P.S. -- Onan QG 5500 and QG 7,000 come in EFI fuel injected models.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	3491  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum