Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: House batteries
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #46
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by allantodd1 View Post
I wanted to increase battery capacity. I have two 12v factory installed batteries in my new Hurricane 34f. I added 2 6v batteries.

The two 12v batteries are running in parallel (positive to positive and ground to ground) and I hooked up the two 6v batteries in series (1 hot to 1 ground connecting the two batteries). I then connected then 1 unused positive on the 2 6v batteries to the positive on the 12 v batteries and the same with the negative)

This I think is correct everything seems functioning correctly so far. Does this sound like the correct hook up ? Any issues ?

Any advice appreciated !
Sounds good. While it is generally not advisable to add new batteries to an existing older battery bank, nor it is best practice to combine 12v and 6v batteries in the same bank, you can do it. The life span of the new batteries probably will not be as great and the overall voltage you can charge your bank to may not be as high - depending in how good shape your 12v were in the first place. But combining the two 12v in series gives you one 12v to add to your 2 battery 12v bank and that is OK.
Since you already had the two 12v and you wanted to add battery capacity at the lowest cost, what you did is probably the lowest cost/best case in this instance.
I would buy a good hydrometer and routinely check the two 12v batteries to make sure they are holding up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum