Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
petew

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
While cheap gas may not have as many additives at the "Top Tier" gas it won't hurt your rig , at least so says AAA and some car manufacturers (Toyota for example ).
Clean fuel injectors are very important to proper engine operation and there may be less detergent in cheap stuff.
Chevron Techron is touted as one of the best injector cleaners out there and is available in Walmart and Autozone as well as many other places.
It is the exact additive that Chevron uses in their fuel and a bottle is not expensive. Added twice a year or so is said to keep the fuel system clean.
With this in mind I use the cheap gas in my Ford V10 . I stabilize the fuel when the rig will sit for a couple of months and plan to treat it to some Techron on occasion .
To me the weak link in our gas fuel systems is the generator which uses a carburetor with very small passages (small engine) and is most at risk from the ethanol gas sold at most every station.
I am lucky to have several gas stations in my area that sell ethanol free gas and I use it exclusively in all of my small engines. I don't really have that choice when on the road with the RV.
With the exception of the AAA report on cheap gas I read and the quote from a Toyota engineer contained therein the rest is my opinion based on what has worked for me in the past.

Pete

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum