Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #30
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It is so interesting how our perceptions can be so different. We eat at Cracker Barrels occasionally, but have never parked overnight in large part because I don't feel it would be as safe. I feel safety in numbers, and in not being isolated from others. For whatever reason I feel safer knowing there are dozens of vehicles around me in rest areas, and that if someone was going to be mugged, it would likely be someone stopping to use the restrooms when they are most vulnerable.

Having said that, I may be completely wrong. Maybe parking at a CB is safer -- I honestly don't know.

Perhaps some of you can better explain what it's like at a CB or WM? Do you feel safe and why? How many "campers" typically park overnight? If stopping late after store closes do you just park there? Have you ever been hassled by anyone?

We will continue to use campgrounds most nights because we don't have a generator, plus prefer to relax when time allows. I'd guess we stay in CGs well over 90% of time. Still, it's good to have backup plans.
Personally haven't used CB yet - no good reason - just hasn't happened.

For WM - where we have stayed were always 24 hour stores... As I said above, I always call and ask first. They have you park in one corner of the lot typically - and in most cases were at least one or two other campers or truckers there... Think the most have have seen were five.
Have never felt 'unsafe' from the area - but always aware of surroundings whether WM, rest area, etc...

Most interesting experience was in Missouri when a rather strong thunderstorm blew threw... We were alone there that time. Maybe between two big rigs in a rest area would have rocked the RV less... (We knew it was coming... weather alerts, watching radar...)

I've never had a generator enter into the question of WM/CB vs campground - but then the only things I am without on 12v is AC, microwave, coffee maker... I've installed 12v fans (like those in the windshield area) in kitchen and bedroom, and bedroom TV/BluRay is 12v. Even having it - it very rarely gets used there.

Now - if I had the time and wanted to relax - would certainly choose the campground option.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum