Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #31
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It is so interesting how our perceptions can be so different. We eat at Cracker Barrels occasionally, but have never parked overnight in large part because I don't feel it would be as safe. I feel safety in numbers, and in not being isolated from others. For whatever reason I feel safer knowing there are dozens of vehicles around me in rest areas, and that if someone was going to be mugged, it would likely be someone stopping to use the restrooms when they are most vulnerable.

Having said that, I may be completely wrong. Maybe parking at a CB is safer -- I honestly don't know.

Perhaps some of you can better explain what it's like at a CB or WM? Do you feel safe and why? How many "campers" typically park overnight? If stopping late after store closes do you just park there? Have you ever been hassled by anyone?

We will continue to use campgrounds most nights because we don't have a generator, plus prefer to relax when time allows. I'd guess we stay in CGs well over 90% of time. Still, it's good to have backup plans.
I pre-plan any upcoming stays at a WM or CB. Due to experiences in my prior life my initial thoughts are always toward safety. I pick an approximate night stopping point and locate a WM or CB close to the interstate. I may pinpoint two or three along a 50 miles stretch. I use Crimereports site online to see what crime there is in the area (most agencies report to it). Then I use google earth to check the parking lot situation and also neighborhood street levels. If surrounding neighborhoods look "sketchy" then I pass on that location.

We have never had an issue. I do not let my DW walk into WM, CB, or even a rest area building by herself, we always go together and return to the vehicle together. I can't think of one time we haven't been parked with other RVs when catching Z's in a WM or CB parking lot.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum