Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Howdy!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Welcome...
We tow our 2010 2dr Wrangler 4 down.

Using Roadmaster base plates, Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar (allows easy connect/disconnect even when not level or perfectly in line), and Invisibrake (permanently mounted braking system which makes use of the jeep's power brakes)... OEM Mopar wiring harness which drives existing lights with embilical to RV (inserts between major harness under passenger dash), and battery disconnect. No steering lock on mine - so no need for key.

So - with a couple of replies you have seen the two major brands (Roadmaster and Blue Ox) - and the 2 main styles of braking (permanent install vs portable)...
No wrong answer between them - just personal preference... and cost.

I got the Roadmaster setup at the time cheaper than the Blue Ox... The Invisibrake and Brake Buddy were about the same (Invisibrake was a little more with install) - but opted for the simpler connection.

Shop around... I installed the wiring harness. Had camping world do the baseplates, Invisibrake install - they were running a special for Good Sam's members. I could have easily done the base plates... The Invisibrake is a bit of an install - wasn't worth my time to do when they did it for $149...

The Jeeps (4x4) are great flat tows... With proper setup - I never feel it on braking (it takes care of its own weight) - I do feel it some on acceleration... downshifts more often... and costs maybe a couple of MPG.

Can easily cost $2000 to fully set up... but easiest way I've towed anything.

Check prices on etrailer.com.. Good reference even if you don't buy there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum