Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
bulldogpilot

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Just went out to the link provided below and asked this question in their on-line chat:

"Are your LED Headlight bulbs US DOT compliant in all 50 states?"

Within 15 seconds I received a one word response "No"

There may be DOT legal LED headlights out there it's just not the ones at the link provided below.

Buyer beware. The website does not disclose the DOT non-compliance anywhere that I found. When I asked about the disclosure I received the response "Once again, the bulbs are not US DOT compliant."

They do however disclose that if you purchase and then return the product there is a 20 percent restocking fee.

BTW, I never implied that anyone was an idiot. I just try to be a responsible and informed consumer when it comes to the lives of my family and others travelling the same roads.

Here is the website for a firm that clearly marks their products DOT Compliant.

https://www.vehicode.com/products/led-headlights.html
Take a read of FMVSS No. 108. FMVSS states, "the Federal Government does not regulate installation of equipment by consumers." The "off-road only" designation that has the potential to be used on the highway "will likely be subject to regulation under FMVSS No. 108". But there is guarantee.

So its a grey area.

In California, Motor Laws section 24255, 25400 and 25950 are vehicle codes related to auto lights.

Basically the lights have to under a candela rating of no more than 0.05 per square inch, be diffused and non-glaring, Cannot display red to the front, are positioned more than 12 inches away from the other required lights and reflectors.

Three of the four, I know I comply with. I would have to get a light meter to measure the candela rating through the projector.

The low beams do not shine any higher than the stock H9s, and driving I cannot see the faces of on coming drivers, nor do the low beams hit the mirrors of the car in front of me.

If my low beam LEDs in the RV are illegal due to too much output, then my S63, completely stock, is illegal as well. The LEDs in my S63 are far brighter in low beam and high beam and cover more area than the LEDs I put in.

enough said.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum