Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: ACE 29.3 Newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #14
justjohn57

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrates on the 29.3!!! So you are experiencing the same thing from our coach. Now I'm 60 and you would think I can't hear much..... Well at lest thats what my wife says..... But it does have a whistle... Like a dog whistle... And it will change pitch with a cross wind. I had had enough and called Thor. The service guy knew right away what I was talking about. The grill is what is whistling. The square holes make the noise. Ours was crimped in the middle to take the shape of the front cap/air intake. He mentioned they have a fix by using a different shaped grill. Like expanded metal. We had to go thru the dealer for the warranty. Now it is all quite and still looks very nice.
The wheel alinement was also needed for our coach, so you should notice a difference. One thing to note also is, ask the mechanic to adjust the steering play while doing the alinement. It doesn't take much and will add in the prefect feel while going down the road.
I was unable to get the front sway arm to work on the CHF. But... I need to look again as someone here has the same coach and made it work. On mine it seems that the tie rod that connects to the sway bar was too short to move to the back position. The rear sway bar mod worked great.
I also installed a cold air intake from Banks. Gives it a little more torque but it also is a little loader. The jury is still out on wether I want to keep it on or not.
I was having a terrible time with 18 wheel trucks as they pasted. Found a vortex generator/s to help with this. AirTabs was recommended and after installing the roof and both sides found it helps quite a bit. I think they can work better if I relocate them to in front of the slide out seem. I still haven't heard back from AirTab to see if this will help. I also installed them on our inclosed box trailer that we tow.
Over all, it's a pretty nice coach. Plenty of room when the slide is out, fairly quite from the showroom and has great power climbing these AZ hills all over the place. Not to many problems from delivery but the biggest one we had, was the hyd leveling jacks had a line that wasn't tighten at the factory and gushed fluid all over a gas station when we restarted the engine. Oh and the rear axle seal leaked fluid all over the street overnight. There was so much fluid leaked that I was concerned to drive it to the dealer 45 miles away. It worked out ok though. Last thing to remember is the bathroom sink is connected to the black water tank, not the grey water. And if you have solid matter collecting at the bottom of the toilet, the sink might not drain properly. Don't ask me how we know this. I have never seen a sink drain into black water but there is a first for everything... right..??
So have fun out and about and enjoy your 29.3!!! We are!!!!
Wow, great advice that sure sounds like what mine is doing. We are also 60 but can still hear that dog whistle. Not sure yet how our Beagle is going to react when we take him along! Was yours caused by the crimp? I'll need to check and see if mine has that feature. I will call Thor and see if that's our problem.

I had a nice conversation with the alignment mechanic I'm going to use, who also owns a motorhome. He's a big believer in sway bar updates, but he told me he'd try the CHF and see if it made any difference first.

Haven't done any freeway driving yet but will keep the Airtabs in mind if I have the same trouble you do.

Researched the Axis/Vegas a lot before purchasing ACE, and it does the same thing with the sink draining into black water tank. It's a good way to fill it before dumping if you need to.

Thanks again for your input and maybe we'll run into you since we're planning a big trip to AZ in March to visit our kids. Can't wait to try out our 29.3 on an extended basis!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum