Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
RVbeetle

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Chateau 31w
State: New York
THOR #3786
Exclamation 2016 Thor Chateau 31w -My Story

On 08/22/15, I bought a 2016 Thor Chateau 31W, at Camp World in Hamburg New York. While driving the RV home and engine light came on, I contacted Ford and gave them the engine code they told me it’s with the exhaust and to reset the code and monitor it to see if it comes back in the future.

My RV sat in my garage until February where I traveled through April where a total of 8,000 miles during the winter, and again the exhaust codes for the Ford truck resurfaced with a new one. On top of that, when my RV went between the speeds of 59 to 64 mph there was a very loud vibration coming from under the RV near the door in center of vehicle. Trust me very annoying for 8,000 miles. But this was the first RV/camper I ever own so I was learning.

In June and July, I built a barn to for my RV. In August, I went to Camp World in Hamburg, to get some warranty work done on the RV and spoke to them about the vibration which they said they were unaware of any issues from the manufacture. They did a ride along with me and told me to go to Ford for the drive train vibration issue and engine lights, and they will work on contacting Thor for Authorization of warranty work.

I made the next available appointment with the ford dealer, which was a few weeks later. The engine light issue was a sensor in the catalytic converter which was repaired. They thought vibration issue was from the rear differential and spent two months looking for the tools to borrow because it was too much money for them to purchase for that specific job. No other ford in 100 miles had tools. During this time, I contacted them numerous times to keep apprised of their situation to make sure their actively attempting to fix my vehicle. The repair center said they contacted Ford and got permission for a 3rd party truck company to repair the rear differential due to not have proper tools. This takes me to November (first available appointment for 3rd party shop) and the company replaced the spider gears in the rear differential.

Around November 10, 2016, I test drove my RV and still heard the vibration. Ford spent a couple of weeks researching my RV and determined it was the Drive shaft. He told me a company name Morryde who he had called where contracted by Thor to extend the chassis when it came from Ford plant. In fact, when he provided customer service with the VIN number, they had on file that they were previous called by Camp World for vibration on the drive train.

I contacted Camp World in Hamburg, and they had no knowledge of Morryde. They told me to call Thor and speak to a customer representative. I did and they provided a name and number to Morryde. I believe her name was Melissa and she looked up my VIN and immediately sent me parts, a fix, and authorization to cover the cost of the repair. As I was driving the RV to the truck shop, I got another engine light came on. (so when the drive train is fixed I have to go back to Ford)

The repair was made in December, which it only got rid of 60% of the vibration. I contacted my new point of contact at Morryde who is Jessica. Very nice lady and helpful. She and the truck shop are working on a way to fix the vibration issue as of December 18th, 2016. Jan. 3rd got call they claim it's fixed but a snow storm came in ; I cant test drive it. When The RV is fixed I have to go to Ford to get the engine light looked at again. Then I have to go back to Camp World and get my original warranty issues from August fixed, not including the self-leveling jacks won’t work (new issue).

During these past 5 months, I have not been able to go anywhere with my RV because the fear the vibration issue could have future serve effects on the RV body’s integrity and contents inside. I figure I have lost $3,275 for lack of use (payments, insurance, warranty) Not including the numerous trips, I have drove 40 miles there and 40 miles back to get the RV repaired with time and gas.

Look, I am very proud to own my very own Thor Chateau 31w. I love that RV it is perfect for me and the dogs. I sent an email to Thor a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard anything from them.

-Very frustrated owner-hope this might help someone

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.