Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Limited012 View Post
I plan to replace this battery with an AGM sealed battery. AGM batteries can take over charging much better, resistant to cold freeze,, no need to add water, will not spill or overflow, resistant to shaking and movement issues and last much longer than standard lead acid batteries.
Actually, I think it is the other way around. AGM does not take overcharging very well (at least the overcharge rate needs to be lower), and you will need to replace the Converter/charger in your coach for one that specifically charges AGM batteries or you can damage it. I doubt the converters that Thor supplies are capable of charging AGM.

AGM chargers typically require lower trickle charge rates; - a standard trickle charger intended for lead acid batteries is too high for AGM.

If your charger/converter is damaging your deep cycle battery, there may be an issue with it as it is supposed to have a trickle charge position. But the chargers are relatively cheap, so you may simply want to buy a better charger.

While you can most likely install one that has AGM capability, the risk here is your engine alternator could possibly damage the AGM house battery as it is not designed to charge them - and in reality, you are combining the engine's battery with a coach AGM battery on the same alternator/charge circuit.

Also, Thor used to connect the stereo system to the engine battery - that is how mine is wired up (2011). They changed this in 2012 or 2013 because of the propensity of running the stereo when you are camping, which alleviates the possibility of discharging the engine battery while you are parked.

Probably either way is OK as if the engine battery is discharged too much (stereo hooked to the engine battery), you can emergency start the engine with the house battery; and if the house battery is too discharged (stereo hooked to the house battery), the engine alternator will recharge the house battery during operation.

Unless, of course, Thor changed the house charge setup. On my 2011 coach, the engine alternator will charge the house battery.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.