Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

You experienced one of the biggest 3 RV shows in the country, along with Pomona and Hershey. You must have seen almost all the rigs available that approach your wish list. I was astounded by the number of motor coaches one rep told me that their company had sold in the first two days.
Of all the units at show, the two that came closest to our "wish list" were older models we've already seen many times over the last three years -- the Axis 24.1 Class A and Winnebago Travato Class B.

I was hoping Thor introduced a new Axis floorplan closer to what we want, but that wasn't the case. We also looked to see if any other manufacturer entered the compact Class A market with a (KISS) motorhome based on Ford E-Series stripped chassis, but that didn't happen either.

The show was great but a little too focused on selling units based primarily on (lower) price. There wasn't as much innovation as I had hoped. Price seems to drive transactions which probably explains manufacturers taking shortcuts that can affect quality. I was also a little disappointed with how the industry limits higher quality to larger motorhomes. Most Class A salesmen seem to think the only reason to buy smaller is if you can't afford a nicer larger MH. Class B salesmen at least understand that some buyers will pay a premium for smaller size when done right.

When I asked other manufacturers about whether they planned to have smaller motorhomes similar to Axis and Vegas, their responses were generally derogatory of Axis/Vegas, usually saying something about poor ride and handling. When I then asked why they sold Class Cs on identical chassis, they just sat there looking confused. I mentioned the E-Series chassis is actually more sophisticated than the F-53, but they didn't care. All they need to know is that the F-53 can support a BIGGER motorhome, which then makes it superior.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum