Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: sound proofing
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I've made a couple of sound improvements to my Miramar, I think the dash and doghouse are similar.

First was the doghouse, I removed it, four bolts holding it in place. I was surprised to find a thin piece of paper type foil under there as insulation. I removed that and cleaned the surface with an all purpose cleaner. Next I applied Dynamat 3/4 inch sound deadener to the doghouse and closed all edges and seams with Dynatape.

I noticed a big difference in the noise, it definitely made a difference. While having a new stereo inslatted I removed the dash and noticed how thin the dash cover was. I also discovered that the dash has a big open dead space in it. On the drivers side towards the windshield, there is a big hole, at least 3 inches in diameter for a wiring harness to go under the coach. That giant hole is a source for road noise and direct air flow while driving.

I plugged that hole with a spray foam insulation, the pest block type. Next I picked up some heat resistant foam insulation and lined it with a thinner sound deadening material and shoved it in the vast open cavernous dead space in the dash.

With everything put back together I've noticed a HUGE reduction in road noise while driving, plus I don't have to play the stereo as loud as I used to!

My next project when it warms up is to clean the wheel well area below the drivers compartment and apply Lizard Skin spray on insulation to the wheel well area. They have two products the first applied is a sound control followed by a ceramic insulation. It seems to be a pretty good product, I've talked to a couple of car restoration guys who swear by it.

I'm confident the spray on insulation will give me even more noise reduction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2666.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	3785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	3788  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum