Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
gentilebrian

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You're absolutely correct that 185 HP isn't much power, but I think I would personally be OK with it for up to 15,000 pounds of combined weight.

If we look at other diesels in very large luxury coaches, they have even less power for their weight/mass. Thor makes 360 HP diesel pusher with up to 45,000-pound GCWR, and a 450 HP with up to 60,000-pound GCWR. These work out to 120 HP (or less) for every 15,000 pounds, so by comparison 185 HP isn't that bad on the steepest hills.

Its not about the HP with heavy loads and towing. Diesels never have all the much horsepower. Its about the Torque and that has 325ftlbs of torque which should be plenty. You are rated for 15k GCWR so I'm sure you drive train is built and geared for that much weight.

If it was me I would worry about being overloaded. The only way to know for sure is to weigh the rv AND the car. You can pull both onto the scale at once. there are 2 pads on the scale. Put a tire of the rv on 2 different pads so you know your front to rear and then put the car on the third pad.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum