Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Chance, I agree that HP is going to show better in acceleration etc. but torque is more important for hauling weight, especially on uphill grades. Torque won't get you impressive 0 to 60 numbers, but will give that steady pulling power. My previous DP was rated at 1250 pounds of torque. Towing the car behind that MH was imperceptible, only way to know it was even there, was visually through the rear camera. The Gemini, does a credible job of towing the HHR, but I certainly can feel it back there. Since towing the car puts it very close to its GCWR I have no plans to tow any distance, or over mountains.
I respectfully suggest that in this case you are coming to the correct conclusion for the wrong reason. The danger with that is that when the same logic is applied to other cases it may lead to the wrong answers/conclusions.

A DP and a Gemini are too different to compare much of anything directly, in my opinion, unless we look at data on a specific basis -- like pounds per HP, etc.

In fact, pulling a heavy load uphill at speed is one of the most power-demanding (as in horsepower and not torque) road conditions that vehicles encounter. And the required amount of power is well defined by the laws of physics.

Anyway, this topic is outside the scope of this thread, plus it would get too technical and therefore boring to discuss.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.